Mabelle B. Avery Middle School#1 Vision Boulevard, Somers, CT 06071
2013-2014 School Calendar, approved 1/14/13CALENDAR2013-2014
Please click on this and the parent survey will appear: A website to house the MBA parent survey has been created.
Please check out this link for a blog from one of the big 8 educational organizations in our state highlighting our MBA teacher, Erin Scholes, Somers 2014 Teacher of the Year.
Dear Parents and Guardians:
November just flew by for us with conferences and Thanksgiving. We were very pleased with the excellent turnout at parent conferences last month. It was great to see all our parents. Teachers work many long hours in preparation for these evenings and look forward to meeting with our parents.
Positive happenings at MBA include:
• Mrs. Erin Scholes being honored as a semi-finalist in the Teacher of The Year award ceremony at The Bushnell on November 19th. She was in the top 15 teachers of the 167 districts.
• Mr. Michael Szafir and Mrs. Scholes were national conference presenters at the Association of Middle Level Educators in Minnesota in November. Their topic was “A Year in the Pilot’s Seat: How iPads Changed the Course of Learning”.
• MBA was recognized as a school of distinction by the State Department of Education based upon our students state scores.
• Our teachers have been sending out positive notes, emails and calls to parents about how wonderful our students are and how fortunate we are to have them. We have received back so many notes from parents expressing their gratitude towards our teachers. It is great to see how much our parents appreciate the dedication of our staff.
• We have begun our first year of Ski Club for over 30 students. Many thanks to parent Jill Decker for the footwork and to Mrs. Grakowski for volunteering to be the adviser.
• Ms. Reynolds and Mrs. Cole have been working with a global project called charity:water. This has inspired some of our students to create project:water which will raise money for a well to provide clean water to people who struggle to access clean water.
• Our grade level teams have recognized select students each month for their hard work, effort and character during team time. Parents are notified when their child has been recognized.
• Our student government (ASD) students planned a 7th and 8th grade dance which was successful and a formal tea to meet with administration. Currently, they are raising funds for the victims of the storm in the Philippines which affected so many.
The first trimester of the Unified Arts classes ended November 26th. The first trimester grades will appear on the next report card. If you have any questions about a grade, please notify the teacher or call school. The classes for the second trimester include Technology for Grade 6, Art for Grade 7 and Life Skills for Grade 8.
Congratulations to the Grade 7 and Grade 8 Honor Roll recipients. All high honor and honor recipients for the first quarter will be recognized December 5, 2013 with certificates and pins. Great job to all!
The Association of Student Democracy (ASD) will sponsor the Grade 6 Ice Cream Social on Friday, December 13th from 2:30-4:00 p.m. in the cafeteria.
On Tuesday, December 10th, the Music Department will present the annual Winter Concert at 7:00 p.m. in the gymnasium. The 6th, 7th and 8th grade Band and Chorus will perform many seasonal favorites.
Fitness Club will continue to meet on Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. until December 17th. Intramural basketball for boys and girls will begin in January. Look for information.
Scrabble Club started on November 14th and will meet on Thursdays from 2:30-4:00 in Mr. Nevins’ room 207. Meeting dates are: 12/5, 12/12, 12/19, 1/2, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23.
Our twelfth annual Free to Be…You and Me day will be Friday, December 20th. This is a special day that acknowledges student and teacher extra curricular talents while participating in cross-grade level activities. The spirit of the day recognizes that we all are different yet special and have talents and unique abilities. On Free to Be…You and Me day, students select from over 30 different activities. The students have the opportunity to meet different MBA teachers and to be involved in activities with combined 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. The PTA will serve school approved snacks to the students and teachers during the first activity. Our Free to Be day will also feature a Band and Chorus performance. The day will also include the annual 8th grade student-staff basketball game at the end of the day.
Friday, Dec. 6 Teacher Work Day, NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, Dec. 10 Winter Concert, MBA Band/Chorus 7:00 p.m., MBA gym
Friday, Dec. 13 Grade 6, Ice Cream Social
Friday, Dec. 20 Free To Be…You and Me Day
Monday, Dec.23-Jan.1 Holiday Recess
Thursday, Jan. 2 School reopens
I would like to wish all our families a safe and relaxing holiday season.
The Somers Public Schools is committed to equal opportunity for all students, applicants and employees. The District does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability (including, but not limited to, intellectual disability, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. In addition, it provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding the District’s nondiscrimination policies should be directed to Ms. Kathleen Pezza, Title IX Coordinator, 1 Vision Boulevard, Somers, CT 06071, (860) 749-2270 x2039 or Mr. William Boutwell, Section 504 Coordinator, 1 Vision Boulevard, Somers, CT 06071, (860) 749-2270 x2035.
MBA Office Hours
Monday-Friday 7:00am-3:00pm 860.749.2270 860.763.2073 (fax)
MBA Office Staff
Dates to Remember
No School for students
|Band/Chorus Winter Concert 7 pm MBA gym|
Gr. 6 ice cream social 2:30 - 4 pm in cafeteria
Free to be you and me day
Monday, December 23 - January 1